In the summer we like to grill outside on our deck. But yesterday it was rainy with thunderstorms and grilling outside was not very appealing to us. We still wanted a summertime meal so we decided to make these easy and flavorful tex-mex slow cooked shredded chicken tacos. Two of our friends came over to cook this meal with us. Well really, they watched us cook this meal. They prefer to chat rather than chop. But their company is always welcome!
The chicken has many different spices and gets an extra flavor kick from the jalapeño. We paired the chicken with a sweet peach salsa and avocado slices to complement the spice. All of us throughly enjoyed the tacos, even our friend who has a low tolerance for spicy foods.
The tacos require a little planning ahead. There are some unique ingredients and the chicken takes three to five hours to cook in the crock pot. But using a slow cooker has its advantages. Once you get the chicken cooking your work is basically done, and you can enjoy the company of friends while you wait. You can also double the recipe and have left-over chicken for lunch or dinner later in the week. It would be excellent in a taco salad or on a bun. Happy double dipping!
Recipe (adapted from Good Life Eats blog www.goodlifeeats.com check it out!)
Serves 4 (4-6oz. of chicken and 2 tortillas per person)
Ingredients for chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. coriander
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 limes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
*The pig on the right is named Justin. He tells our guests what’s for dinner, except when we’re serving pork.
Ingredients for salsa
- 1 peach, chopped
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Dash of black pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (we used Cruz brand tortillas)
Method (see pictures for some visual guidance)
- Sauté chopped onion in a medium pan on low heat with olive oil for about three minutes.
- Add cumin, chili powder, coriander, paprika, and garlic and sauté for three more minutes.
- Add chicken broth to sauté pan and scrape sides to remove any caramelized residue (in fancy culinary terms this is called deglazing).
- Rub chicken with salt and pepper, and place in crock pot.
- Squeeze the juice of 2 limes on top of chicken.
- Add cilantro, jalapeño, and pour onion mixture over the top.
- Cook on low heat for 3-5 hours, or until chicken is completely cooked through and tender.
- Remove the chicken from the crock pot, and in a separate bowl shred the chicken breasts apart using two forks.
- Add the chicken back to the juices in the crock pot.
- Place chicken on warm tortillas with peach salsa, shredded lettuce and avocado.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition info per serving for 2 tacos (4oz. of chicken)
Calories: 498 Carbs: 42.5g Fat: 17.5g Protein: 47g Sugar: 8g Sodium: 579mg