Happy summer solstice! How did you celebrate the longest day of the year? We toasted it with a fun and fizzy gin and tonic, which we sipped on our evening boat cruise around the lake. G and T’s are our drink of choice at the lake, light and refreshing. While we enjoy the classic drink, it’s sometimes fun to put a twist on tradition.
We stumbled upon this blackberry basil G and T in Costal Living magazine and had to try it. The subtle tartness of the blackberries combined with the sweetness of the basil, and the fizz of the tonic gave our taste buds a jolt. It was the perfect summer solstice drink!
Happy summer! Happy double dipping!
Recipe- Adapted from Costal Living July Edition 2012
- 3 oz. blackberries, rinsed
- Gin (we used Tanqueray)
- Tonic (we used diet tonic to cut out the sugar)
- 1 Lime
- In a blender or food processor puree blackberries.
- Using a sieve strain blackberries to separate the seeds from the juice.
- In a pitcher mix blackberry juice and tonic (enough to fill 4 glasses). Squeeze a little lime juice in the mixture.
- Add Tanqueray to each glass filled with ice, and distribute blackberry and tonic mixture evenly between the glasses. Stir.
- Add a slice of lime, fresh basil, and 1 blackberry to each glass.
- Sip and enjoy!
Nutrition info per serving
Calories: 86 Carbs: 3g Fat: 0g Protein: 0g Sugar: 1g Sodium: 0g