Today we found our inner granola.
We’ve recently discovered “granola” is a specific lifestyle. In fact, urban dictionary even has a definition of granola: A person who is not a hippie, but into organic products and cares about the earth. They won’t go through the effort of causing drama. They’d rather be hiking or practicing yoga.
Our granola day started out attending a vinyasa flow yoga class. It was so relaxing we almost fell asleep. We continued to search for our inner granola by flitting around the Uptown Art Fair in Minneapolis. However, we don’t think we found our inner granola as much as we saw it in others. (Lots of granola people watching there!)
We did partake in some granola activities. We stumbled upon a complimetary wine tasting for Barefoot wine, and identifed some floral and earthy tones in the wines we tried. That’s granola, right?
One detail we forgot to mention is that granola people also like to eat granola (crazy! who knew?!). So, to finish off our granola day, we made homemade granola bars. We added almonds and raisins, and spiced them up with cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin spice. They were perfectly granola.
Happy double dipping!
Recipe – Adapted from www.wildeinthekitchen.blogspot.com
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cup dry quick cooking oats
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/3 cup sliced almond
- 1/3 cup raisins
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. pumpkin spice
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray. Coat bottom and edges of pan with flour to prevent sticking.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter over low heat. Let cool for 5 minutes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add raisins and almonds to oat mixture and stir.
- Add honey and vanilla to butter, and swirl to combine.
- Pour butter mixture into oat mixture. Stir until oats are moistened.
- Pour oat batter into pan, and pat down using your hands.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a wire cooling rack. Let bars cool in the pan for 1 hour.
- Cut into 12 pieces and enjoy a high energy snack!