Here’s dessert as we promised in our last post! Yummmm…
Since it was raining we wanted a comforting dessert. We made these whole wheat cinnamon honey shortcakes/biscuits and topped them with fresh berries and homemade whipped cream, for a sweet ending to the night.
This shortcake/biscuit is very versatile and can wear many toppings well, depending on the occasion. The way we served it definitely made it shortcake. But, slice it in half and smother it with butter and jam and you have a delicious breakfast or mid-morning treat!
So if you’ve already had dessert, go turn on your oven and make breakfast for tomorrow. Your taste buds will thank you. Happy double dipping!
Makes 6 biscuits/shortcakes
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cold
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp. buttermilk
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Cut the butter into small pieces, and add to dry ingredients. Mix quickly with a fork or your fingers until the butter is evenly distributed.
- In a measuring cup, whisk honey and buttermilk.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing gently to combine.
- Dust a clean surface with flour and empty the dough from the bowl onto the counter. With floured hands pat the dough into 6 ¼” round biscuits.
- Place on baking sheet for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Top with homemade whipped cream and berries. Enjoy!
*For homemade whipped cream recipe, see our Berry Shortcake Fourth of July post.
Nutrition for 1 biscuit
Calories: 220 Carbs: 31g Fat: 8g Protein: 5g Sugar: 10g Sodium: 232mg