We’re still pumped about pumpkin! And have discovered a new delicious way to enjoy it! We’ve never considered preparing the whole pumpkin, until we found this recipe while browsing the October edition of Coastal Living Magazine. We’ve carved pumpkins for Halloween, placed them on the table as a center piece for Thanksgiving dinner, and have savored every bite of Grandma Patty’s famous pumpkin pie. But eat the whole thing? Who does that?
We do now! We used a small sugar pumpkin which has a texture similar to an acorn squash. After some internet browsing, we learned that you don’t want to use a jack o’lantern pumpkin because it’s too watery and doesn’t taste very good. We cut the pumpkin into wedges, sprinkled them with parmesan cheese, olive oil, lemon zest and rosemary, and roasted them in the oven for 30 minutes.
These were the best “fries” we’ve had in a while! These pumpkin wedges have the perfect combination of texture and flavor to pack a punch! Texture: silky flesh with a crunchy rosemary-parmesan topping. Flavor: sweet pumpkin, zing from the lemon zest, salty kick of the parmesan cheese. Our mouths are watering as we write.
Serve these pumpkin wedges as the star of your meal or make them as a snack to nibble on! Happy double dipping!
Recipe – adapted from Coastal Living Magazine October 2012 Edition
- 2 pounds unpeeled seeded pumpkin or other winter squash, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs or panko
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Place pumpkin wedges in a single layer on a large parchment- or aluminum foillined baking sheet; drizzle with olive oil, turning wedges to coat evenly.
2. Stir together Parmesan, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle pumpkin wedges evenly with cheese mixture. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until tender.
3. Serve as a tasty and unique side to your meal. Enjoy!