Tis’ the season of potlucks and holiday dinners. This past week K had a Thanksgiving potluck at work (she brought maple glazed sweet potatoes with chopped walnuts) and has another holiday lunch coming up in December. E has a “Home for the Holidays” gathering every Thursday afternoon at work where treats and good cheer are exchanged. And tonight we went to a potluck dinner at a friend’s apartment. There was extra pressure on the double dippers to bring a tasty dish. So we brought a roasted beet and arugula citrus salad with homemade raspberry vinaigrette topped with goat cheese.
This salad is the perfect holiday side. Note the colors here people: red and green. The beet red and green arugula shout “it’s the holiday season!” Note the flavors: the citrus from the orange slices make you feel light and merry with cheer, while the peppery arugula and tangy goat cheese give you a pleasent surprise, much like the surprise of unwrapping the box you’ve been eyeing for weeks under the Christmas tree and realizing it’s the Vitamix blender you’ve been dreaming of…hint hint ; ) The raspberry vinaigrette gives a finishing bitter sweetness, similar to the end of the holiday season…when all the anticipation has passed and the cookies are gone (the bitter part), but all you’re relatives have finally gone home (the sweet part).
Happy double dipping!
- 4 large red beets, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups baby arugula
- 1 medium orange, cut into slices
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Dash of pepper
- ¼ cup goat cheese
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. raspberry jam
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and peel beets, and slice into ½ inch cubes.
- Place beets on baking sheet or roasting stone and roast in oven for 30-35 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove beets and let cool. In a bowl mix beets and arugula. When ready to serve add orange and goat cheese, and top with vinaigrette.
- Serve as the perfect side to any potluck dinner and enjoy!