Did you know…
- One in five kids in America suffers from food insecurity meaning they live in households that lack the means to provide nutritious foods on a regular basis
- Food insecurity leads to lifelong consequences including poorer health, behavioral difficulties and weakened performance in school
- In Minnesota food insecurity has increased from 6.9% in 1998-2000 to 10.3% in 2008-2010
- You can help end childhood hunger
We double dippers have recently become involved in Share Our Strength, a national organization whose mission is to end childhood hunger in America by 2015.
We often forget to acknowledge how fortunate we are to not worry about where our next meal will come from or when. We are blessed to have the means to create and share delicious and nourishing food with you all and enjoy it with our friends and family. Since we are financial analysts at a food company, we are surrounded by all things related to food every day. It is easy to focus on those who will be consuming the food we produce and forget about those who will not.
So today we want to make a difference by using our Double Dipper network to spread the word that we all can do our part to end childhood hunger. We are joining Food Bloggers Against Hunger and donating this post to raise awareness about the new documentary from Participant Media, A Place at the Table, which “follows three families struggling with food insecurity and reveals the reality of hunger in America.”
So what can you do?
1. Use this link and take 30 seconds and send a letter to congress asking them to support anti-hunger legislation. The more letters the better!
3. Spread the word to others about how they can join the fight to end childhood hunger in America!
Now to the recipes. We decided to put together a recipe round-up of budget friendly recipes from our archives. Not all of these recipes are exactly budget friendly, but all are nutritious, made with pantry staple ingredients, simple, and extremely tasty. Try them out. And as you enjoy the food we hope that you are grateful that you can afford delicious and nourishing food.
Happy double dipping.