Property Sister Update: How to make a good impression when meeting your really awesome new neighbors
- When you hear the door bell ring answer the door. Don’t hide in the kitchen assuming it’s someone trying to break in. (A crook probably wouldn’t be thoughtful enough to ring the doorbell).
- If it’s Saturday night at 8 o’clock and you’re wearing sweats watching the movie He’s Just not that into You, make sure your sweats are LuLu Lemon or some other trendy brand, not long underwear that you’ve tucked your blue fuzzy loon socks into.
- If you fail at the first two, make sure you are a great conversationalist and you can explain why you look like you were out until 3am the night before dancing up a storm. Your wit and charm will save you. It did for us (or so we hope).
These tips may be from first hand experience. Our thoughtful, young neighbors may have rung the doorbell at 8pm last night and brought us a nice bottle of red wine. And we may have been lounging on the couch, exhausted from a wild Friday night. Not the image we were planning on portraying the first time we met them.
This chicken recipe is the ticket to our redemption. Our neighbors are planning a block party once the weather turns warm. And what could be a more perfect dish to share other than this kiwi citrus chicken? The kiwi and lemon give a fresh, tropical flavor and color that screams summer. Perfect for a summer party and making a great first (or second) impression.
Happy double dipping!
Recipe – a Double Dipper Original
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ripe kiwi, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup shallot, minced
- 1/4 tsp. crushed garlic
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. whole grain Dijon mustard
1. To make the marinade, combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add chicken and let marinate for 2-4 hours. Quick tip: If you are short on time, cut three to four thin slits in the chicken breasts to allow for faster absorption of the juices. With this trick you can cut the marinade time down to 30 minutes.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place chicken in oven and let cook for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through. Or, if it’s hot and sunny out, place on grill and cook 5 minutes each side.
3. Serve with kiwi and lemon slices and enjoy!