This is the most crispy, flaky, zesty fish we’ve made in a while. Last year we shared this recipe for fresh walleye and northern. And we prepared this flavorful and easy mahi-mahi en papillote earlier this spring. But this recipe is our new summer jam, just in time for the summer solstice.
Our fisherman (Dad) caught the big one last weekend. He reeled in two 6 lb. walleyes on Father’s Day and cleaned them into beautiful, meaty fillets, perfect for our summer solstice party yesterday.
Our favorite part is how the flaming hot oven makes the crushed tortilla chip coating extra crispy, as if it were deep fried. The lime plays with the smoky heat of the paprika, and the oregano adds a finishing freshness to the fish. This walleye is seriously good eats and a crowd pleaser. It’s also fantastic served with this blackberry gin fizz which we mixed-up last year to toast the summer solstice.
Happy summer solstice! Happy double dipping!
Recipe – a Double Dipper Original
- 6-8 fillets fresh walleye (or other white fish such as tilapia or mahi-mahi)
- ½ crushed corn tortilla chips (we used Cantina chips which are a thicker chip)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Juice of 1 lime, plus extra slices for serving
- 2 Tbsp. fresh, chopped oregano
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, plus more for brushing on pan
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Rinse fillets with cold water.
- Place tortilla chips in zip-lock bag or between two sheets of parchment paper. Crush chips using a rolling pin or glass (hands will work as well).
- Combine crushed tortilla chips, paprika, garlic powder, cumin and black pepper in a medium size bowl. In a separate bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. olive oil and lime juice. Dip fillets in lime juice and olive oil mixture. Next, dip fillets in tortilla chip spice mixture, coating both sides.
- Lightly brush baking sheet with olive oil and place fillets on baking sheet. Sprinkle fresh chopped oregano on fillets. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Tortilla chips should be crispy and fish should be white and flaky.
- Garnish with lemon and lime slices. Serve with fresh salad or other favorite summer side. Enjoy!