Happy New Year! We can hardly believe it’s 2015! Weren’t we just talking about the Y2K bug yesterday?!
We welcomed the New Year with tacos, sangria and friends, and spent New Year’s day eating beef brisket sandwiches and sipping bloody marys while cheering on the Minnesota Gophers in the Citrus Bowl with family and friends.
The Citrus Bowl didn’t end in our favor. Missouri was just too tough! But this citrus beet salad was a winner! (oh yes, that transition just happened). We made it for a holiday dinner party last Saturday and people were saying, “I’m all about this beet salad!” Winner.
Tangerine slices are mixed with red and golden beets, creating a burst of citrus among earthy flavors. The radicchio and endive provide a crunch and slightly bitter taste that pairs well with the smooth and sweet ricotta salata. Parsley and roasted Marcona almonds top it all off.
Serve this colorful citrus beet salad at your next dinner party or make it for yourself and eat it straight out of the bowl.
Happy double dipping!
Citrus Beet Salad – from Coastal Living December 2014
Makes 8 servings
- 2 large red beets, peeled and halved
- 2 large golden beets, peeled and halved
- 3 tangerines
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 cups chopped radicchio
- 2 cups diagonally sliced golden endive (about 2 heads)
- 1/2 crumbled feta or ricotta salata cheese
- 1/2 cup Marcona almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1. wrap red and golden beets in parchment paper or aluminum foil and roast in oven for 1 hour at 425 degrees F. For a quicker cooking time, wrap in parchment paper and microwave on high for 5 to 7 minutes. When beets are tender, cut into wedges.
2. Peel and section tangerines over a bowl; squeeze membranes to extract juice. Whisk in oil, mustard, salt, and pepper.
3. Arrange radicchio and endive on a platter; drizzle with half of dressing. Top with beets, tangerine sections, and cheese. Sprinkle with almonds and parsley; drizzle with remaining dressing.