How delicious and fancy does this dish look?! It.Was.A-mazing.
We were busy being both the Property Sisters and Double Dippers yesterday. We had a Mommy-daughter date day and explored the Minnesota Home and Garden Show in Minneapolis. Our minds are exploding with interior decorating ideas (wish we could get that $400 gold ceramic lamp), landscaping projects (can we please build a chimney fireplace on our outdoor patio?!), and spring inspired food ideas…
We share with you a double dipper original, Colorful Kale Pesto Spinach Linguine with Smoked Salmon. We had a girls’ night and enjoyed this dish along with lots of good red wine and dreams of traveling to Italy (some day! We’ve started the savings fund and the planning is in the works). But until then we will indulge in delicious pasta with friends in our new home.
This dish looks super fancy, but it is really easy and quick to prepare. A few chops, pulses of the food processor, and tossing and the meal is done in 30 minutes (Rachel Ray would approve). The “colorful” elements are the red bell peppers and asparagus which we roasted in the oven. We’ve recently become obsessed with Trader Joe’s since it’s in our new neighborhood and has awesome prices for produce and organic products. So, we used Trader Joe’s spinach linguine and smoked salmon. Don’t skimp on the smoked salmon. It gives a bacon-like flavor with the benefit of omega-3. Oh yeah! We served the pasta with toasted garlic bread which was perfect for soaking dipping, as well as a mixed greens salad with strawberries and candied almonds with balsamic dressing. This was a hit.
Happy double dipping!
- 4 cups kale
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5 garlic cloves, roasted
- 4 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 8 stalks asparagus, roasted
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted
- 6 oz. smoked salmon
- Spinach Linguine Noodles (we used Trader Joe’s brand)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Dice asparagus and red pepper and place on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper. Roast in oven for 10-15 minutes. At the same time, place garlic cloves on baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- In a medium pot, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add kale, being sure to submerge it and blanch for 2-4 minutes. Using a large spoon, transfer kale to a colander. Rinse with cold water and pat dry with wet paper towels.
- In a food processor (we used our VitaMix) add garlic, kale and juice of 1 lemon. Pulse until kale is broken up and nearly smooth. Add parmesan cheese. While food processor is running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Cook pasta according to directions on package.
- Drain pasta and add back to pot. Add pesto, roasted asparagus, roasted red pepper, sliced smoked salmon and red pepper flakes, and toss to combine. Top with shavings of parmesan cheese.
- Serve with toasted garlic bread, mixed greens with balsamic dressing, and your favorite red wine. Enjoy!