Growing up we were very fortunate to take spring break trips to Hawaii as a family. These trips to the Big Island are by far some of our best memories. Swimming in huge ocean waves, snorkeling, learning to surf, walking along volcanoes, hiking through rain forests, and just living on “island time”…that’s the dream!
And the food was also dreamy! Tropical, fresh, simple. The food of island life.
This weekend we recreated the island life flavors by making coconut mango macadamia nut crusted mahi mahi. The tropical flavors are explosive. Each bite brought us closer to the ocean breeze and relaxation mode (or maybe that was the blackberry gin fizz we were drinking?) The sweet mango is balanced by tang from the lime and depth of cumin. The macadamia nuts are a crunchy surprise. The coconut gets toasty while the mahi mahi is grilling and provides a perfect finish to each bite.
Aloha and happy double dipping!
Recipe – a double dipper original
- 6 oz mahi mahi (fresh or frozen)
- 1 small mango, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. lime
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/4 coconut flakes
1. In a blender or food processor (we used our vitamix), add mango, macadamia nuts, cumin, and lime and puree. Mixture does not need to be completely smooth.
2. Coat mahi mahi with mango/macadamia nut mixture, and top with coconut flakes.
3. Place on grill to cook until flakey.
4. Serve with a squeeze of lime. Enjoy!